Northland Power Inc. (“Northland” or “NPI”) is an independent power producer dedicated to developing, building, owning and operating clean and green power projects in Canada, Europe and other selected jurisdictions. Northland is focused on the development of sustainable power generation. Our facilities produce electricity from clean-burning natural gas and renewable resources such as wind, solar and biomass.
These are the values shared by Northlanders. If you also share these values, we would like to hear from you.
Honesty & Integrity — Doing the right thing for all our collective stakeholders
Respect — For ourselves, our partners, our host communities – and the environment
Commitment — Seeing a project or challenge through to its successful conclusion
Having Fun — Feeling passion and enthusiasm for our work drives our efforts
Pursuit of Excellence — Striving to be the best in everything that we do
Collaboration — Listening, sharing and working cooperatively is key to our success
Creativity — Finding innovative solutions that stimulate positive change and growth
Safety — Ensuring the health and safety of our people, partners and stakeholders is our top priority
About the Kirkland Lake Facility
The Kirkland Lake Facility operates three 22 MW General Electric LM 2500 gas-fired turbines with heat recovery steam generators and two (one 20 MW and one 25 MW) steam turbine-generator sets as well as one 30 MW General Electric LM2500 Plus gas turbine peaking unit. In addition, the facility burns biomass utilizing 3 x 48kpph wood boilers. There are Power Purchase Agreements in place with the Ontario Electricity Financial Corporation for both wood and gas production until 2030.
Plant Engineer Position:
The Plant Engineer reports to the Plant Manager and coordinates with all plant personnel to resolve problems, and provide technical support. The Plant Engineer will implement innovative engineering solutions for operations and maintenance issues; support capital project design, planning, and execution; and optimize maintenance practices to ensure safe, reliable operations and lowest total life cycle costs in accordance with industry accepted engineering practices, governing regulations, and Northland Power procedures. Assignments will involve external contact with engineering firms, sales and service personnel, and vendors to discuss new implementation or modifications to existing equipment.
The Role of the Plant Engineer:
- Administers and monitors the plant performance monitoring system. Prepares reports and generates trends and data as required.
- Analyzes equipment failures, incidents, accidents, and unusual events, and provides analyses, root cause analysis, recommendations, recommended recovery plans, reports, and appropriate follow up of cost effective solutions to prevent reoccurrences.
- Leads and coordinates projects aimed at improving the efficiency, reliability, and safety of facility operations.
- Participates in the administrative maintenance of plant operating manuals, technical references, prints, diagrams, and preventive/predictive maintenance records and ensures that vendor maintenance reports and repair records are properly filed and kept up-to-date.
- Participates in Environmental Health & Safety aspects of the overall plant by establishing and maintaining a high level of professional, personnel, and equipment safety and environmental consciousness and compliance of standards and practices.
- Contributes to the culture of continuous improvement and suggest better ways of doing things to improve controls, drive efficiencies and add value. Will implement a Management of Change “MOC” process for the site and maintain the associated ongoing administration of the MOC program.
- Assists in developing the annual budget and in identifying and implementing plant and/or profitability improvement projects. Provides technical support in bid preparation specifications, evaluation of bid proposals, and monitoring contractor work to assure contract compliance. Manages capital improvement projects to ensure budgetary guidelines and contractual guarantees are met.
- Respond quickly to plant conditions or requirements which may involve extended and/or abnormal work hours.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Plant Manager. The duties, responsibilities, and requirements of the jobs as described herein are not exclusive and are subject to change.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Must possess a high level of attention to detail;
- Demonstrated commitment to personal safety and safety of others;
- Innovative, self-motivated, professional, and able to work and contribute in a fast-paced, multi-discipline team environment;
- Ability to work independently to organize, plan, coordinate, and manage multiple projects simultaneously including providing daily field support;
- Ability to embrace and lead change;
- Demonstrated familiarity with project management principles and practices;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of PC-based computer systems and software applications with an emphasis on Microsoft Project, Excel, Access and AutoCad;
- Working knowledge of NERC, NPCC, and IESO standards preferred.
This position requires candidates to:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering;
- Professional Engineer designation recognized by PEO or equivalent or EIT;
- Progressive experience in power plant related design and maintenance activities is an asset;
- Previous hands on experience at a combined cycle power plant is an asset;
- Knowledge and experience working with SCADA/DCS and historian systems
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license;
- Provide a driver's abstract for review;
- Successfully complete a pre-employment medical screening, including drug and alcohol testing;
- Successfully complete a security clearance/criminal record check.
Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
All positions require background screening. Some include criminal and/or credit checks in order to comply with regulations.
Please note that the above is a summary only and we reserve the right to change your reporting requirements and assign you to other duties as may be required.
All interested applicants please forward resumes to email@example.com
**Please include Job Application – Plant Engineer KLPC in the Subject line. **