Sustainability drives all our efforts at Northland. We define intelligent energy as the ability to meet present needs without compromising future potential.
Sustainability for Northland has many dimensions:
- Health and safety: We want our people to have the knowledge, tools and time necessary to work safely. Our culture of safety, respect and independence helps to ensure we attract and retain the people we need to perform well.
- Environmental: Northland was founded on the belief that clean and green energy is vital to the future of our planet – a principle that guides our business focus to this day. We avoid high environmental impact technologies to focus on promising new areas of opportunity. All of our construction and operational practices are engineered to meet high environmental standards.
- Financial: As an investment, Northland has paid stable monthly distributions and dividends and outperformed the Toronto Stock Exchange since our initial public offering in 1997. To maintain this record, we pursue opportunities that meet strict return on investment thresholds and include long-term purchase contracts with creditworthy off-takers.
- Operational: We manage our facilities throughout their lifecycle. Northland is a full-service provider of renewable and gas-fired energy— from project origination, through development, financing, construction, and operations. We maintain and reinvest constantly in our operating assets for maximum efficiency and viability over the long term. High-quality results are the ultimate goal of everything we do—from the smallest calculation to the successful completion of a multimillion-dollar facility.
- Community: Northland makes ongoing investments in its host communities to ensure they remain vibrant, healthy places to live. These communities are our homes, too—Northland staff and their families live, work and play there. Northland supports non-profit activities and events with financial assistance, sponsorships and product or in-kind contributions to community initiatives.